Why isn't there a better way to find and support veteran businesses? What is a career in contracting like and how do you get it?
Rick Yost is a former Army Ranger and Armor Officer. Since leaving the military in 2001, he has gone on to various roles in consulting and program management for various software and cybersecurity companies and was the Chief Operating Officer for two different consulting firms. He has an MBA and Law degree and was an online faculty for the University of Maryland. He is currently Government Business Lead at Durabante, a process improvement and operational excellence firm comprised of successful business professionals and military veterans. He is also working on starting VeteransList, which will help people find and connect with veteran owned businesses.
Insights From The Interview
- Look for "Very Active" groups on LinkedIn to connect, discuss, and get your questions answered.
- How to find transitional jobs, and how to succeed at them.
- Take what you already know and turn it into a profitable business.
- When is the right time for you to find a new career?
- How do benefits work in contracting?
- How to use your community of vets to make the jump from one career to the next.
- Understand what a government contract is and if it’s the right kind of work for you.
- What type of veteran is best suited for government contract work?
- Is going into business for yourself the right move?
- Should you modify your resume and what you say depending on the job you’re applying for?
- How important is networking?
- Look for the social hubs in your network or become one.
- There are over 2.4 million veteran owned businesses out there. Check out VeteransList.us, helping veteran owned businesses be found, and get your business listed!
- VA ebenefits job search site
- Corporate Gray
- You can also contact Rick via LinkedIn or e-mail.