Dr. Kent Bradley is a graduate of West Point and served in the Army for over 20 years as a medical officer which included a tour in Iraq as Deputy Commander of the 30th Medical Brigade and a tour as Executive Director and Chief Medical Officer of TriCare Europe. Following his military career, Kent went on to earn his MBA and was a Senior Partner at Martin-Blanck and Associates, a healthcare consulting firm. Today, he is the Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President of Safeway and the President of Safeway Health. In these roles, he works extensively across Safeway's health initiatives directed at both employees and consumers.
Download and rate on iTunes
Insights From the Interview
- The military prepares you for change and to be agile.
- Don't jump at the first opportunity...be intentional in what you are going to do.
- Be open to new experiences.
- Recognize and understand your knowledge gap.
- If you decide to get more schooling, like going through an MBA program, be able to clearly articulate what you want to get out of it.
- Look for companies that match your values.
- Companies with developmental programs can help ease your transition into a new industry.
- Reach out for mentorship!
- "Regardless of what position you end up transitioning to, you're still successful if you're making a difference in the world." -Kent Bradley
- Find out more about careers for military servicemembers at Safeway and it's award winning Learning & Leadership Development Program.
- Safeway was just named one of the world's most ethical companies and one of the top 100 healthiest workplaces in America.
- Kent recommended, The First 90 Days, by Michael D. Watkins as a great book to understand how to make an impact quickly in your new career.
- Understanding what you want your legacy or purpose to be is an important aspect of any career decision. Simon Sinek offers a free course to members of the military, both current and former. It's aptly called, Start With Why.
- You can read more about Kent's insights on healthcare over at the Safeway Health blog.
- Connect with Kent through LinkedIn. Let him know you heard him on SuccessVets!